Saturday, February 25, 2006

On the other hand, I'm not of the "life is a life is a life" crowd either. I value the life of a squirrel less than I value the life of a human. I put less value on a 80 year-old sick person than I do on a healthy 10 year-old child.

So my question on the issue is how much to value that new life against the emotional trauma and physical hardship of carrying the child to term and then giving it up for adoption. When the fetus is the size of a silkworm, and has about the same mental capacity, should it be worth more because it has the potential of being an adult human? I wouldn't hesitate to squish a silkworm if it made my life inconvenient. So I'd probably go ahead and kill the fetus up to about 3 months or so if it was a bother. After that I'd probably need a more compelling reason and would feel bad (probably about as bad as I would feel about running over someone's cat), until about 6-7 months. At that point, since medical technology could keep the creature alive on the outside, I'd probably feel pretty bad about killing it.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home